Children's Ministry Leader
Children's Ministry Leader
St Michael & All Angels is an Anglican church in Cannington. We respond as a multi-cultural Christian community to God’s loving call on our lives by – worshipping God; witnessing to Christ in our community; ministering to those in need and supporting God’s mission & nurturing each other. On a typical Sunday there are somewhere between 6 and 12 children at church, and occasionally as many as 20. These age anywhere between 3 and 13. We long for these children to have a life-giving faith, and be formed as disciples of Christ.
Coordination & Collaboration
- Coordinate, plan and strategize overall children’s ministry at the parish
- With respect to the above, collaborate with the Parish Priest and Children & Youth Ministry Team
- Meet with the Children & Youth Ministry Team approx. 4 times per year
- Identify and implement a suitable program of discipleship/catechesis for the children in line with the seasons of the church year (e.g. Lent, Easter, Advent)
- Be willing to work alongside people who volunteer in children’s ministry.
- Write reports to the Parish Council and Annual General Meeting as required
- In conjunction with all levels of parish leadership advocate for a safe environment for the children & youth
- Supporting the parish priest in making church a welcoming space for children, young people and families
- Deliver an engaging, media diverse Sunday ministry program to children
- Maintain a designated area for children’s ministry - ensuring it is tidy and well-stocked for children’s ministry needs
- Modify the program to suit various age groups
- Lead the children in special seasonal activities e.g. Christmas Play
- Be willing to participate in extra activities as organised by the Children & Youth Team from time to time
- Demonstrate biblical literacy which is adaptable to varying age groups
- Encourage prayerfulness in children & youth
- Be a Baptized Christian and model an active faith to children & youth
- Help identify and nurture the God-given gifts of the children & youth
- Have duty of care for, and deliver a supplementary ministry program, to some children after Sunday worship whose parents are involved in the church choir
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Approachable and friendly manner
- Well-organised and punctual
- Enthusiastic about working with, and discipling, children and young people
- Delights in working with people from a range of backgrounds, ethnicities and theological perspectives
The Children’s Ministry Leader is responsible to the Parish Priest under the relevant Statutes and Governance of the Anglican Diocese of Perth. They will also work in conjunction with the Children & Youth Ministry Team.
Any appropriate training opportunities will be agreed in advance and funded by the Church Council and all legitimate expenses will be met. The Church Council undertakes to fully support the Children’s Ministry Leader in his/her role. The successful candidate will be required to comply with the Diocesan ‘ChurchSafe’ policy and complete a police check and Working with Children Check.
This is a part time role at 0.2 FTE / 7.5 hours - $28 per hour plus benefits pro rata ordinary rate. Evening and Sunday penalty rates apply.
The Children’s Ministry Leader is employed by the Perth Diocesan Trustees.
It is expected that 3.5 hours will be on Sundays from 8.30AM to 12PM
Remaining 4 hours by negotiation with the Parish Priest
Additional hours may be deemed appropriate at particular times of the year (e.g. Christmas)
How to apply
Provide a response against the above criteria in no more than 3-A4 pages and include a detailed resume. You may apply by forwarding your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisting will begin immediately. For a confidential discussion, please contact Katerina Lazarevska on 08 9425 7200.