Make a Bequest
Make a Bequest
Why make a bequest?
A bequest acknowledges the important role that the Anglican Church has played in your life, in the life of your family and community. Your gift will enrich the lives of future generations.
Bequests help the future ministry of the Anglican Church. Gifts made to the Diocese are a major source of funding for chaplaincies, theological education and training for clergy and lay people, children’s and youth ministry, social justice and environmental initiatives, the building of new churches, and the restoration of historic churches and buildings. Your legacy, large or small, will make a lasting difference.
What is a bequest?
A bequest is a gift left to a beneficiary in an individual’s Will. Making a bequest is simple. You can either make changes to your Will or add a Codicil to your Will with the help of your solicitor. It is important to seek the advice of a solicitor to ensure that the wording of your Will or Codicil reflects your exact wishes and to:
- ensure that your family, friends, and the charities you wish to assist are identified
- tell your loved ones and share your vision with them
- choose the type of bequest you wish to leave to the Diocese
- visit your solicitor to have your Will or Codicil prepared or updated
- advise the Diocese if you are considering leaving a bequest.
There are several types of bequests which may include:
- percentage of the total value of an estate
- residuary bequest (the remainder of the estate once all legacies, other bequests and costs have been paid)
- specified sum (a pecuniary bequest)
- asset such as real estate, shares and/or culturally significant works of art, or proceeds from the sale of assets such jewellery.
Unrestricted or unspecified gifts to the Diocese may be allocated to the area of greatest priority by The Perth Diocesan Trustees (the corporate trustees of the Diocese) at the time the bequest is realised. Unrestricted bequests are highly valued as they can be applied to the changing needs of the Anglican Church and society well into the future.
A restricted bequest can be stated for a specific purpose. If you wish to leave a gift for a specific purpose or you wish to bequeath a culturally significant gift, please contact the Diocesan Secretary or the Chief Financial Officer on 08 9325 7455. The Diocese is keen to assist you and to accommodate and fulfil your specific wishes.