By the Diocesan Council Statute 1888-2002, Diocesan Council is the Standing Committee of Synod.
When Synod is not in session, Diocesan Council acts for and on behalf of Synod in all matters relating to the temporal affairs of the Church in the Diocese.
In this context, temporal affairs include the fixing of clergy stipends and allowances, arrangements for clergy housing and office accommodation, and generally, all pecuniary arrangements relating to parochial and non-parochial clergy.
Council is also responsible for:
- setting conditions of employment relating to lay employees engaged in departments funded by council
- policy matters relating to parish buildings
- strategies for funding parochial outreach and parish development
- training of clergy and their deployment
- provisions of the Statutes and resolutions of Synod
- the arrangements of Synod and the transaction of all business rising out of the decisions of Synod.
Diocesan Council usually meets on the second Thursday of each month but does not meet in January or in the month Synod is held.
Members of Diocesan Council:
- The Most Reverend Kay Goldsworthy AO
- The Right Reverend Jeremy James
- The Right Reverend Kate Wilmot
- The Venerable Kathy Barrett-Lennard
- The Venerable Canon Angela Webb
- The Reverend Theresa Harvey
- The Reverend Peter Manuel
- The Reverend David Deeny
- The Reverend Lorna Green
- The Reverend Marc Dale
- Mr Philip Goldsworthy
- Mr Ian Carter AM
- Mrs Carine Collins
- Dr Carolyn Tan
- Mrs Sally Boyle
- Dr Bill Leadbetter
- Mr Philip Teale
- Mr Peter Dawes
- Mr Keith Stephens
Pursuant to the Diocesan Council Statute 1888, Diocesan Council may delegate any portion of its power to Committees (to which persons who are not members of the Council may be appointed).
The following Committees of Diocesan Council are in operation:
- Nominations and Governance
- Policy Committee.